Established in 2001 in memory of Sofie Manarin, a member of the Canadian National Junior Nordic team, the award will include a bursary to assist young skiers in their pursuit of the sport and a pair of racing skis from Madshus, one of Sofie’s sponsors.
Sofie was an incredible young person who displayed all the attributes necessary of a true champion. During her short five year career she showed the promise of becoming one of Canada’s top cross-country skiers. She passed away June 3, 2001, at the age of 17 while training for the upcoming season. Sofie was an inspiration to all the young skiers in Sudbury, Ontario and Canada. She started racing with Laurentian Nordic Ski Club at the age of 12 under the coaching direction of Dave Battison. During the 1995/96 season she earned her first of 13 National Championship medals, a silver in the juvenile category against skiers three years her senior. In 2000 Sofie was selected to represent Canada at the World Junior Championships in Poland, earning a 28th in the 15 km at the age of 16. She was later named to the National Junior Team. “Sofie was a dedicated, elite athlete committed to maximizing her potential. She always gave 100%, but it was her delightful sense of fun and “joie de vivre” which made such an incredible impact on anyone with whom she came in contact” commented Dave Battison, her first coach. “With the establishment of this award, the memory of Sofie will live on in the Nordic community forever.”
Career highlights included:
- 2001 – Top North American and 28th at World Junior Championships
- 2000 – Selected to the Canadian National Junior Team
- 2000 – Junior Women Aggregate Winner – Canadian National Championships
- 1999 – Junior Girl Aggregate Winner – Canadian National Championship
- 1996 – Youngest girl to win a medal at Canadian National Junior Championships
- Donations to honour Sofie Manarin’s pursuit for excellence in cross country skiing should be made out to The Sudbury Community Foundation and mailed to that organization at 300-96 Larch Street, Sudbury Ontario, P3E 1C1 c/o Sofie Manarin Memorial Bursary Fund. All donations need to be clearly marked to the Sofie Manarin Memorial Bursary Fund. Tax Receipts will be issued (so please include your name and mailing address where the receipt should be mailed).
Donations to the fund will be directed to support the developement of Juvenile cross-country skiers.